The president in charge of Venezuela, Delcy Rodriguezannounced on Friday, January 30, a law of “general amnesty” for political prisoners who had been detained from 1999 to the present.
However, still has not fully materialized. A few days later, on February 6, the president of Parliament, the Chavista Jorge Rodríguez promised the release of “everyone” political prisoners once said law was approved, which he estimated would happen “at the latest” last Friday.
However, the Legislature, controlled by Chavismo, postponed the second and final debate to this week necessary for the approval of the law, as there are differences over an article.

Due to this non-compliance, a group of political prisoners began last Friday night—February 13—a hunger strike to demand his release at a command of the Bolivarian National Police, located east of Caracas and known as Zone 7.
To protest in the form of a hunger strike They also joined a day later, a group of family women —about ten people—who had been spending the night at the entrance to Zone 7 since last January 8, when the President of Parliament announced the release of a “significant number” of people.
In the place there is a small board with data on the women’s strike, such as the time elapsed, and a large banner that says “Freedom for all”. The protesters, aged 23 to 46, remain on mats.
THREE DAYS ON HUNGER STRIKE | Relatives spend 72 hours on hunger strike demanding the freedom of their loved ones
This Tuesday morning #17Febrelatives maintain a hunger strike in protest for the freedom of their loved ones, announced by Jorge Rodríguez… pic.twitter.com/v8roarhw4q
— Committee for the Freedom of Political Prisoners. (@clippve) February 17, 2026
At 72 hours From the beginning, nine of the ten women who started remain, since one suffered a drop in blood pressure and had to be transferred to a hospital.
The NGO Committee for the Freedom of Political Prisoners (Clipp) warned in X that “the indifference and lack of responses from the State continue putting the life and integrity of these relatives and political prisoners at serious risk. who also remain on hunger strike” within this command of the Bolivarian National Police (PNB).
This group of detainees began their strike on Friday, so they have already spent “more than 90 hours in this extreme measure of protest,” said the Clipp, which on Monday denounced that Police prevented the entry of moisturizing serums for these prisoners “without offering any explanation.
The families reported that the prisoners were being forced to eat by the prison authorities. “They are telling them that if they don’t do it, they will be put in a punishment cell,” they said.
PUBLIC COMPLAINT | Relatives denounce that political prisoners in Zone 7, on hunger strike, are being forced to eat under threats of punishment
Relatives denounce that political prisoners held in Boleíta, Zone 7, who are on hunger strike, are being… pic.twitter.com/IdV59bufiy
— Committee for the Freedom of Political Prisoners. (@clippve) February 15, 2026
The Human Rights Committee of the Vente Venezuela party, led by the opposition and 2025 Nobel Peace Prize winner, Maria Corina Machadocondemned in X that relatives are “punished with uncertainty, with imposed silence, with the pain of not knowing” if their relatives will be released.
However, he appreciated that they made it clear that “They will not rest, they will not be silent, they will not leave, until each one of them is free”.
In Zone 7 there were 17 releases on Saturday, according to the head of Parliament. The NGO Penal Forumwho leads the legal defense of political prisoners in Venezuela, assured this Monday that There are still more than 600 of these detainees in the countryafter the 444 releases that the organization has verified since last January 8, when the Government announced a release process.
You may also like
-
The Congress of Peru dismisses President José Jerí after only four months in office for failing to fulfill his duties
-
Turtle in danger VIP receives urgent help from airline: Rescue after fierce storm
-
Four arrested for the death of an ultra in Lyon, one of them an assistant to a deputy from Mélenchon’s party
-
The US destroys three other boats in the Pacific and the Caribbean that it accuses of drug trafficking and leaves 11 dead
-
“They act as advisors”
